In recent years, the Indian government has implemented numerous initiatives aimed at promoting women’s empowerment and improving their social standing. These programs aim to address the historical gender disparities in Indian society and provide women with opportunities for economic independence. The government is committed to promoting gender equality, empowering women, and enhancing access to education for children.
Here is a list of some of the key women empowerment schemes in India, providing a comprehensive overview of the various ongoing initiatives:
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
- The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme was launched on January 22, 2015, by the Prime Minister of India in Haryana, with the primary objective of ensuring the survival, protection, and education of girl children. This initiative aims to address the concerning decline in the sex ratio observed over recent years, raise social awareness, and improve the efficiency of welfare services designed for the benefit of girls.
- This scheme is applicable nationwide and is designed to reach a wide range of beneficiaries, classified into three groups:
- Primary Group (comprising young and married couples, pregnant mothers, and parents)
- Secondary Groups (including the youth of India, adolescents, in-laws, doctors, private healthcare providers, nursing homes, and diagnostic centers)
- Tertiary Groups (encompassing the general population of the country, religious leaders, voluntary organizations, frontline workers, government officials, media, and women’s Self-Help Groups)
- The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme primarily targets the sectors of Women and Child Welfare.
- To avail the benefits of this scheme, a family must have a girl child who is an Indian citizen and below 10 years of age. Additionally, the family should have opened a Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA) in any nationalized bank.
What Is the Application Process to Avail This Scheme?
- Step-1– Visit the registered bank or post office.
- Step-2– Collect and fill in the application form of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme.
- Step-3– Attach the required documents and submit the application form.
- What Are the Documents Required to Apply for This Scheme?
- Birth Certificate of the girl child
- Passport size photograph
- Proof of Identity of the Parents (Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, etc.)
- Proof of Address (Passport, utility bills like water, driving licence, telephone, electricity etc.)